Favorite amusement park food
(makes 4-5 eight inch cakes)
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Vegetable or safflower oil, for frying
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the milk, butter, vanilla, and egg. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until the two are completely combined.
- Fill a Ziplock bag with the batter and close.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot filled with oil about 2 inches. (if candy thermometer available heat to 375 degrees.) Cover a large dish or baking sheet with paper towels.
- Once the oil gets hot, cut the tip of one of the corners of the Ziplock bag, hold the bag over the oil and let the batter come out in a steady stream, swirling the bag to create a rough circle, overlapping as necessary. Immediately fold the tip of the bag up to stop the flow of the batter and set it into a glass for the next one.
- Fry the cake until puffed and golden brown on one side, about 1 minute. Flip the cake and cook until the other side is golden, another minute or less. Transfer the cake to the prepared sheet to drain, then repeat with the remaining batter.
- Transfer the cooked cakes to a serving plate and dust liberally with confectioners’ sugar. Serve hot.